Saturday 11 April 2015

Kayak in your area, expect to be surprised.

How many of us always dreams or travels far away to explore some great places?
How many of us can see lochs (lakes), rivers, some sea on the daily basis, from home, work but never bother to explore it?

I was always a keen believer that beside great places to see somewhere far away there is always something interesting nearby.
Here it is my Easter, local travel story;

Loch Clunie, located just 5 miles west of Blairgowrie, the largest town in Perthshire.
Not many local folk is even interested in this venue anymore. Fair play, during the summer place is not managed at all, number of litter left by members of the public is spoiling the reputation of this venue.

Nevertheless thanks to my friend's information I have found out lots about the history relevant to the loch. If you explore Loch Clunie you will be exploring some of Scotlands oldest history. On the shore there are remnants of an old castle, once used by Kenneth MacAlpin, the first king of Scotland. The small island is actually man made and was used as a crannog with another castle built on it.

During the Easter time, just past, I have decided to take my family and friends to show them this well undervalued place. I think the pictures, some attached here (more on my Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/o_explore/ ) shows how great little kayak journey we had!

Castles, an inland, great company, peace and quiet at this time of the year and nice views of nearby hills created a really great, 2hrs long journey. I would love to show the place now even more to visiting tourists and living nearby people. There is probably plenty of more hidden gems waiting here to be explored. I am hoping to find them all.

Do you have some great venues like this somewhere close? Feel free to comment it below or email me at info@outdoorexplore.org.uk


No comments:

Post a Comment